Friday, November 25, 2011

JEWELRY ORGANIZER DIY

Happy Black Friday everyone! I not only bought a few new things today, but I also worked on something old and made it new. 

I had gone to the Bryn Athyn Thrift Shop earlier this week and found a few interesting things, including the below basket for $3 and jars for $1.50 each. 


 Not bad! I have plans for this, but not until after the Holidays. 

Well, I also found this wall picture frame that had some hooks on it and missing others, for only $2.



I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it when I saw it.

The next day I stopped by Target and bought some knobs. That was definitely the priciest part, since it cost me about $30 for all the knobs ($14.50 for a pack with 4) , but definitely worth it. 

So today after Black Friday Shopping I decided to work on this little project to keep me awake. 

The Transformation Process

First, let me apologize for not taking pictures of the entire process, but I'll try to describe as well as possible. 

First, I covered the holes with wood filler, sanded them down (even though you are really supposed to wait 8 hours but I have no patience and the holes were really small) and wiped the dust off. 

I then added two coats of Valspar Semi-Gloss Turquoise Tint (no primer) that I already had at home. I should probably have added a primer first, but again, I was being lazy.  

After that I dried it with a blow drier (did I mention I'm really inpatient?) and after the paint was dry I sanded a few areas on the edges and brushed antique glaze on top to add the rustic feel. 

I then drilled new hole for the knobs, screwed the knobs in and added some pretty yellow decorative paper in the frames which goes with my Guest Room colors (yellow and blue).

And here's the result: 






And that's how I got myself a brand new jewelry organizer!

If you want to check more ideas for jewelry organizers using knobs, I recommend going to Pinterest. They have lots of very cute ideas and that's how I got the knob jewelry organizer idea as well.

And for those of you who like a Before & After picture, here it is:



xoxo



4 comments:

  1. Great jewellery organizer! I LOVE the turquoise you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really hoping this was a Christmas gift for me... lol. Looks great and of course, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Court, your Christmas gift will be BETTER! Trust me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Can't wait to read it! :)