Friday, November 19, 2010

A VANITY MAKEOVER


Ah, the vanity... it has got to be the project I am most proud of so far. But then again, I haven't done many projects on furniture. I plan on doing many more. Luckily my husband works at a thrift store so that makes it very easy for me to find old furniture :)

Anyway, the vanity is probably what got me back into my design craze. It all started with me looking for a vanity where I could do my hair and make up easily. All of the ones I kept finding online were just too small for me and too expensive.One day my husband calls me and says this old vanity desk came in and he could get it for $15.

At first it looked pretty pitiful and just plain old, but then I thought: "Why not?" After all, it's only $15. If it doesn't turn out well, I can just dump it.




The mirror and the chair came later, separately. Also for bargain prices.


After doing some posting on The Nest and getting some opinions, I decided to paint it white. I got the knobs at Anthropologie and the fabric at Joann, online.

In my head, I had planned to finish it in one weekend. But I ended up having to order the fabric online and exchange the knobs, since I ended up not liking the ones I initially ordered.

Two weeks later, after the painting, the varnishing, the upholstering and the knobs drilling, I had made myself a brand new vanity, perfect size and exactly the way I wanted it to be!



I think the thing I love the most about this Vanity are the knobs. They are SO gorgeous in person!



So yeah, this is the vanity that got me excited about working on many other projects, like this dresser for instance:


So many possibilities... Stay tuned!

xoxo